[gothic-l] Re: Visigothic castle

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Mar 27 07:11:43 UTC 2001

Dear Alberto,

It is the third time you are drawing the attention of the list members
on that castle, and it is a pity that nobody has answered yet...
Regarding me, I did not answer because I'm not skilled in
architectural matters and waited that someboody more authorized would
answer...
The castle is very beautiful indeed, and it is also very interesting
that its style is indeed "Gothic".
What is puzzling is that the "Gothic" architectural style has in fact
nothing to do with the Goths. It appeard centuries after the
disappearance of the Goths form the scene of history. And the
buildings dating from the time of the Ostrogoths and the Visigoths are
in Romanic style, which was predominant in that time.
The name "Gothic" was attributed by the Italian humanists to the
architectural style of the mediaeval cathedrals with the meaning of
"Barbarian" (in that times the term "Goth" was equivalent with
Barbarian, as nowadays "Vandal"). The "Gothic" architectural style
appeared for the first time in France, and was adopted later also in
Germany, Spain, England, and Scandinavia. So no connection with the
Goths...
Now, returning to your castle, is it really Visigothic? When is it
dated? If it is from the times of the Visigoths, I think that the
"Gothic" architectural elements were added to it much later, after the
Reconquista, when the "Gothic" architectural style penetrated also in
Spain.

Best regards,

Francisc

GUTANI WIHAILAG

--- In gothic-l at y..., kaoru666 at h... wrote:
> Take a look to this beautiful visigothic castle and tell me what do
> you think.
>
> Also; if you can tell me something more about it I would be very
> grateful. I have very reduced information about it.
>
> Here's the adress: http://dogaru.com/places/visigo~1.jpg
>
> I hope you like the castle and that it provides you with more
> knowledge.
>
> Awiliudón,
> Alberto

We give away $70,000 a month! Come to iWin.com for
your chance to win!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/olMXHC/BJVCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM