[gothic-l] Re: Visigoths

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba algaba at GMX.NET
Wed Mar 28 20:54:53 UTC 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Yair Davidi wrote:
> >Dirk
>
> Some (perhaps many) of the Jews were Goths who had converted to Judaism.
> The Jews were allied to the Gothic nobility and economically important to them.
> The conversion to Catholicism increased the power of the Monarchy which allied
> itself with the Church. By persecuting the Jews it was possible to
> undermine the power
> of the nobility something that both the Church and Monarchy were interested
> in doing.

I think that Gothic nobility had all the power. A strong Monarchy
didn't appear in Europe till 15th-16th centuries. The best you
could expect from a "hard" king is to have his nobles scared of him.
Undermine the power of nobility ? I think it's impossible in that
epoch. A king was more than happy  just by no being killed by his fellow
noblemen.

> This in effect also placed more emphasis on the non-Gothic sections of society.
> Consequently both Gothic nobles and Jews were not entirely opposed to the
> Arab invasion.
> Yair Davidi, Jerusalem, Israel

I think the Gothic state was so decadent they even didn't realize
that an invasion was going on and much less what that invasion
really meant.

--
Regards/Saludos
Manolo

We give away $70,000 a month! Come to iWin.com for
your chance to win!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/olMXHC/BJVCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM