[gothic-l] Re: Are EE Jews half-Goths?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue May 1 08:19:37 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., l_labkovsky at h... wrote:
>  Being an East European Jew myself I was never satisfied with the
> traditional version of how EE Jews came to Eastern Europe. There are
> too many inconsistencies with the theory that EE Jews came from
> Germany, too many to mention. For one, nobody actually saw medieval
> German Jews actually arriving in Eastern Europe. My theory is that
> Ostrogoths when they lived in Ukraine kidnapped women from Georgia
> which is in the Caucasus and had children with them and these
> children actually became the East European Jews. When Ostrogoths
went
> to Italy these "Mulatoes" stayed behind in Eastern Europe. So after
> many centuries these German(Yiddish)-speaking people still lived in
> Eastern Europe but they didn't look like Germans. Therefore
everybody
> thought that they were German Jews who came from Germany and this
> belief still persists today. This is why EE Jews have their "unique"
> faces and speak German(Yiddish) without umlauts like UE and OE.

Hi,

I think that there are a number of problems with your theory. Firstly,
 Yiddish is based largely on Middle High German, i.e. the language
spoken in Germany some 600 years ago when the Jews left for Eastern
Europe and not on East Germanic/Gothic. Secondly, there is no
mentioning in the sources of Gothic raids to Georgia and even if there
were, why would they have left their offspring behind in Eastern
Europe? And finally, I am neither an expert nor Jewish, but is Judaism
not first and foremost a religion? How do you think these decendants
of Gothic/Caucasians obtained their Jewish religion?

cheers

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM