[gothic-l] Re: Gepids

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri May 4 14:50:29 UTC 2001

Hi Steve, Sorry for this protracted posting, but I am reading a bit
around and came across a few more references to the Gepids, which seem
to be of some interest and which are not normally mentioned in the
mainstream history books.

According to a source (Hieronyums: Epistolae) Gepids were among the
people who crossed the Rhine near Mainz in 406AD. But while the
Vandals, Alans and Suevi continued to move further westwards the
Burgundians settled near Worms and the Gepids at the upper Rhine
Elsass/Breisgau area.

Another source (Prosper Havniensis: Chronica) mentioned that in 455AD
Gepids from the Rhine area participated in wars against Burgundians
(probably together with Alamanni).

And in around 600AD a source (Aethicus, Scriptor anonymus:
Cosmographia) states that an area in the Elsass/Breisgau region is
called the Gepetho, which may be a reflection of the Gepidic name.

After this the traces of the Rhine-Gepids are lost and - just as the
Rhone-Gepids (who had been settled their by Theoderic)- they were
absorbed into the local population. Also the Gepids in the Po-valley
who had been settled their by the Langobards dissappear from the
records in the 7th century. That leaves only the Gepids who had stayed
in Pannonia and who were in contact with Bavarian missionaries as late
as 871AD as reported in the Salzburg chronicles (see earlier posting).

All these souces are given bei Heinrich Sevin (Die Gebiden, 1955).

cheers
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> Hello again Steve,
>
> I forgot one interesting, but not very well known bit of information
> abou the Gepids. The Chronicles of Salzburg (871AD) about the
missions
> of the Bavarians and Carinthians (Conversio Bagaoriorum et
> Carantanorum...) stated that in the slavic Pannonia were the
Bavarian
> mission was most active once the Huns drove out the Romans, Goths
and
> Gepids  (... transfretantes Danubium expulerunt Romanos et Gothos
> atque Gepidos...).
>
> Most importantly, the chronicle continues to state that many of the
> Gepids were still living there. (...De Gepidis autem quidam adhuc
ibi
> resident.) Thus, in 871AD Gepids seem to have still been in
> exsistence in the Pannonian area, where according to the chronicle
the
> Bavarians came in frequent contact with them. Some converted Gepids
> apparently came to Bavaria to become priests or monks.
>
> cheers
> Dirk
>

> --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., Alburysteve at a... wrote:
> > > Hi Bertil:
> > >
> > > Many thanks for the extensive quote from Jordanes:

> > > Gepidus is late Latin?  My (classical) latin dictionary fails to
> > even include
> > > a gep- root.  Is it a loan word?  Sorry for all the questions.

> > > I suspected that the tribal name was a corruption of something
and
> > this makes
> > > much sense.  My initial reaction to Jordanes' version of Gothic
> > origins was
> > > to see it as a reflex of the wider creation legend where the
world
> > is made
> > > from the corpse of the giant Ymir.  Gapt might be head
(haubith),
> > Hulmul the
> > > "helm" (hilms), Augis the eyes (augo), and Amal the shoulders
> (ams).
> >  Being
> > > several christian generations removed from the pagan source, it
is
> > hard to
> > > say how jumbled the terms might have become by the time Jordanes
> > (being no
> > > Snorri) records them.  Comparisons have been made between the
> > > "deconstruction" of Ymir in Norse mythology to similar Vedic
> > reflexes
> > > (Puhvel's Comparative Mythology:284ff) and, of course, the
> > propensity to
> > > carry tribal geneologies back to the "first man" is well
> documented
> > (cf
> > > Turville-Petre's Myth and Religion of the North, Ch 9).
> > >
> > > Thanks again for all the help.
> > >
> > > Rgds,
> > >
> > > Steve O'Brien
> >

> > Hello Steve,
> >
> > ancient authors were apparently also very uncertain about the
> meaning
> > of that name. Isidore of Seville (I think) said that the name
Gepids
> > comes from Ge-pedes meaning something like foot-soldier. Another
> > classical interpretation is Ge-paides, which is supposed to mean
> > 'Decendents of the Getes' (a non-Germanic people in Dacia).
> >
> > Heinrich Sevin (die Gebiden, 1955) argued that the name should
> really
> > be *Gebids* rather than *Gepids*. Sevin calles the settlement
areas
> of
> > the Gepids in the Weichsel/Masuren area as Gebidoios. After the
> > Gepidic kingdom in Pannonia Sirmiensis had been destroyed by the
> > Langobards and Avars, Sevin shows that some of them had been
> > forcefully resettled to Italy, others stayed behind in the Avaria,
> > where a reported incident with the Khan Bajan and the Byzantine
> > emperor shows that they were regarded as subject if not slaves of
> the
> > Avars. Seven argues that some of them may have returned to the old
> > Gebidoios where they are 'attested' in the Masur-Germanic culture
of
> > the 6th/7th century.
> >
> > Under Theoderic, Gepids had also been resettled to southern Gaul
and
> > parts of the Gepids also ended up in the Rhine/Elsass area
according
> > to Sevin. Interestingly, the Gepids did produce coins for a while
in
> > the Sirmium area in the 6th century. In fact, I am in contact with
> > numismatist of the Austrian Numismatic Institute in Vienna who
> argues
> > that the issues were in fact rather substantial. Some coins seem
> > show the monogramme and initial of Cunimundus.
> >
> > I think most authors nowdays believe that the Gepids formed in the
> > Vistula region out of the  Goths who did not move to the Black Sea
> > area in the 2nd/3rd centuries as they are not mentioned by
Tacitus.
> > With regards to their name, I suppose we will never now for sure
> what
> > it means.
> >
> > cheers
> > Dirk
> >

> > > Albury, Ontario

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM