[gothic-l] Austrian and Yiddish language

angelique_oh at YAHOO.COM angelique_oh at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 5 13:46:05 UTC 2001

> I will have to defer to your knowledge as a native speaker, but my
> understanding was that in Standard German, ae was pronounced as in
> English "hat" when in closed syllables, but identically with the
(non-
> schwa) <e> in open ones. Do you disagree with this?

Hm, well, I have never looked at the German language with this
grammer things.
I just speak it.*lol*
But yes, "officially" "ae" ist pronounced like "a" in "hat", like if
one spells something, or so.

What do you mean with "closed syllables"?
And "(non-schwa) <e> "?????
Sorry, I have no idea about grammar, however I know what syllables
are ;-)

> The spelling represents the YIVO orthography... Yiddish is of
course
> normally written in the Hebrew alphabet. YIVO aimed to be as
phonetic
> as possible, and to avoid German-style orthography (e.g. using <kh>
> instead of <ch>)

Oh, interesting!

> > However the words mentioned above are very close to the Austrian
> > pronouncation of the written German.
> > So all Austrians are Jewish?
> > *ROFL*
>
> You're not the first Austrian to tell me this ;)

Oh, the Jews and the Austians...old story...
if they had nothing in common at all, they would not have had
problems with each other....

> Zay gezunt un gotish,
> Moyshe Dovid Mansfeld (IUSTEINUS)

gotisch was i net, ob i bin...
oba bleib ma a sche xund und lustig!

Dei Angelique

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM