[gothic-l] Gepids

Alburysteve at AOL.COM Alburysteve at AOL.COM
Sat May 5 18:47:41 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk:

>  ancient authors were apparently also very uncertain about the meaning
>  of that name. Isidore of Seville (I think) said that the name Gepids
>  comes from Ge-pedes meaning something like foot-soldier. Another
>  classical interpretation is Ge-paides, which is supposed to mean
>  'Decendents of the Getes' (a non-Germanic people in Dacia).

Indeed, Jordanes makes this same mistake, confusing the Getes, a group of
Scythicized Thracians with whom Alexander tangled in his day, with the Goths.

>  Heinrich Sevin (die Gebiden, 1955) argued that the name should really
>  be *Gebids* rather than *Gepids*.

Phonetically, this makes sense to me but (alas) I'm in no position to judge
it.

>Sevin calles the settlement areas of ...

Many thanks for this background info.

>  I think most authors nowdays believe that the Gepids formed in the
>  Vistula region out of the  Goths who did not move to the Black Sea
>  area in the 2nd/3rd centuries as they are not mentioned by Tacitus.
>  With regards to their name, I suppose we will never now for sure what
>  it means.

A suitable ending to my quest.  Many thanks to all for their help.

Rgds,

Steve O'Brien
Albury, Ontario

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM