[gothic-l] EE Jews descend from Goths

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Mon May 7 20:47:31 UTC 2001

l_labkovsky at hotmail.com wrote:

>  Some Ostrogoths who lived in what is now Ukraine in the 3rd and 4th
> centuries intermixed with Sarmats who were Iranians

Very true.

> ... and the offspring
> became what is now East European Jews.

Evidence?  Koestler's theory regarding the Khazars is
generally regarded as incorrect BTW.

> These offspring spoke the
> dominant German(Yiddish) language ...

It's already been pointed out that Yiddish is derived from
OHG.  You have evidence of Yiddish prior to the MHG period?
Do you also have any evidence of East Germanic forms in
what is a West Germanic language?

> and looked like the East European
> Jews of today.

You have evidence of what these Gotho-Sarmatians looked
like.

> In the Middle Ages these "Mulatoes" were convinced by
> the visiting Jewish rabbis that they(Mulatoes) were really Jews from
> Germany.

Again, evidence?

> The itinerant rabbis did the same trick with Khazars by
> convincing Khazars to convert to Judaism.

So the Khazars were 'tricked' into converting to Judaism?

> These "Mulatoes" were quite unsophisticated and they
> believed the rabbis and became ardent Jews.

Evidence for any of this?  Documentary sources supporting
these ideas for example?

> So there you go.

So there we have a series of assertions and no evidence
supporting any of them.  I'd be interested to see your
evidence for these claims.

Tim O'Neill