[gothic-l] Re: Gaut, Gapt & the Gepids

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue May 8 08:22:57 UTC 2001

Hello Ingemar,

If I remember correctly, you have done a lot of research on Germanic
mythology etc. Can you expand a little about what the nature of this
god Gaut is please. How does he relate to Odin/Wodan? Does he have the
 same sort of attributes? Gaut seems to be some sort of ancestral god
for many Germanic people. Gaut was apparently the ancestral God of the
Goths, while the Saxons called their ancestral god/founding father
Hatha-Gaut and Hathu-Gaut. The Thuringians worshiped a devine family
called the Gausen as their ancestral gods.

cheers
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> You wrote
>
> > Hi Bertil:
> >
> > >  On Gapt we disagree as I see the origin
> > >  of Gaut from  the meaning gjuta, goet, gjutit (pour in
> > >  English) of course related to the goet/
> > >  got/gut/geat name.
>   It was my understanding that the derivation of
> > Gapt from Gaut relies on a common accepted "scribal error"
interpretation,> since Gapt occurs only in Jordanes while Gaut is
widely attested.

> The difference  between Gothic p and u and Greek p is almost none.
Hence
> a scribal error is most convincing.I am also quite agreed with
Bertil in
> the meaning of Gaut.
>

> > >  Maybe also one has to reflect on the background of the
> > >  Goetar and Nordic mythology. The Goetar might well have
> > >  emerged already during the Bronze Age...
>
> They most certainly did  in form of a new emerging cult  during the
> transition from bronze to Iron Age. This cult probably spread
around
> the Baltic and included Gauter, Gutar, Jutar and Vistula Goths. The
> Goths accordingly are a number of peoples regarding themselves to
come
> from a common divine origin - not a single people. This I have
treated
> in my dissertation and my last book Goterkällan (The Well-Spring of
the
> Goths. About the Goths in the Nordic Countries and on the
Continent).
> Still it only exists in Swedish, sorry to say, and I search
interested
> publishers in English and/or German.
>
> > > The question is if the gepids also if the Gepids
> > >  existed as a seperate people already in Scandza.
>
> No, they did not. They formed in the Vistula region around the
Sambian
> peninsula as an multiochtonic unity originating from all of
Scandinavia.
> This is convincingly shown by prof. Jerzy Okulicz-Kozaryn in
Warszawa.

> > A particularly good question since the notion of what constituted
a 'separate
> > people'  no doubt depended on whether one were a third century
Goth, a
> > classical historian, or a 21st century Gothophile.  I have always
assumed
> > (intuitively!) that dialectical variation among eastern Germanic
speakers was
> > slight, that Gothic (all flavors), Lombard, Burgundian, and
Vandalic were