[gothic-l] Austrian and Yiddish language

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Tue May 8 15:40:42 UTC 2001

<<Hm, well, I have never looked at the German language with this
grammer things.
I just speak it.*lol*
But yes, "officially" "ae" ist pronounced like "a" in "hat", like if
one spells something, or so.

What do you mean with "closed syllables"?
And "(non-schwa) <e> "?????
Sorry, I have no idea about grammar, however I know what syllables
are ;-) >>

OK, this is digressing pretty far from the original topic, so if you want to
discuss it beyond what I say here, send me private email.
    Open and closed here do not refer to open and closed vowels, as one
reader helpfully suggested, but to open and closed syllables, a different
matter entirely. An open syllable ends with a vowel, a closed syllable ends
with a consonant. So, for example, the ae in Aegyptus is in an open syllable,
but in Maedchen it's in a closed one. My impression was that the first one
was pronounced something like an <eh> and that the second one was pronounced
as in the English "mad."
    As for schwa, this is a term borrowed from Hebrew grammar, actually, but
is traditionally spelled as if it were a German word (because it was a German
who introduced it to Europe, Genesius, I believe), and refers to an
indistinct unstressed vowel, like say the i in the English word aligator, or
the e in German haende.

<< > Zay gezunt un gotish,
> Moyshe Dovid Mansfeld (IUSTEINUS)

gotisch was i net, ob i bin...
oba bleib ma a sche xund und lustig!

Dei Angelique >>

This is great... I have some more comments on this, but I'll save themn for
my next post on this whole Yiddish=Gothic thread. Thanks!

JDM

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
<gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

sentto-1020598-1649-989070370-jdm314=aol.com at returns.onelist.com