[gothic-l] Re: Scandinavia and the Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed May 9 15:11:36 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., czobor at c... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> > Van Bree mentions the interaction between the Goths
> > and non-Germanic tribes: Indo-Europeans such as
> > the Iranian Alans: the Scythians, who were related
> > to the Alans; and even non-Indo-Europeans, such as the
> > Finno Ugrian Estonians. The last info was new to me.
> >
> > Gothically
> >
> > Bertil
>
> There was also interaction between the Goths and Slavs.
> The interaction was reciprocal, but asymmetric.
> The Slavs borrowed heavily from Gothic.
> The Goths borrowed only a few words from Slavic (bala "white horse",
> plats "patch, piece of cloth", plinsjan "to danse").
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

here is a list of Gepidic personal names:

Ardaric
Elemund
Fastida
Filegagus
Geismuth
Gunderith
Hasbad/Asbad
Kunimund
Maurikios (Greek name of a Gepid)
Mundo
Omhar
Ostrigoto (Gepidic wife of the langobard Wacho, also Austrigusa)
Ostrogota (son of Elemund)
Reptila (from Rapt)
Rosmund
Thiudamund (son of Maurikios)
Thorisind
Thorismund
Thrafstila
Thrasarik
Usdibad
Wila
Wisagarda

Heinrich Sevin stated that the Gepidic dialect of Gothic died out in
the 10th century at the latest in Lombardy and even earlier at the
Rhine and the Rhone.

cheers