[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Estonians and Livs

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu May 10 09:14:34 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

the languages of the Baltic (or Balto-Finnic) subgroup of the
Finno-Ugric language group, such as Finnish, Estonian, Livonian, etc.,
and even Saami (Lappish) underwent a strong Germanic influence in the
last two millenia. In Finnish and Estonian, for instance, there are
many borrowings, mostly from Common-Germanic (the oldest ones, that
can be found also in Lappish), Old Norse, Swedish, but also from Low
German and Gothic. Such borrowings that are rather from Gothic than
from other Germanic sources are, I think, for instance the Finnish
words miekki "sword" (Goth. mekeis) and ja "and" (Goth. jah). I have
no special information on Livonian, so I can't tell anything about the
linguistic evidence of the presumed contact of the Livs with the
Goths.
It is noteworthy to mention that there is evidence also about contacts
between Goths and Finno-Ugrian peoples other than Balto-Finnic.
For instance, in Jordanes:
(116) "Soon Geberich, king of the Goths, departed from human affairs
and Hermanaric, noblest of the Amali, succeeded to the throne. He
subdued many warlike peoples of the north and made them obey his laws,
and some of our ancestors have justly compared him to Alexander the
Great. Among the tribes he conquered were the Golthescytha, Thiudos,
Inaunxis, Vasinabroncae,Merens, Mordens, Imniscaris, Rogas, Tadzans,
Athaul, Navego, Bubegenae and Coldae." (Getica XXIII)
The "Merens" and "Mordens" are identifiable with the Mari (Cheremis)
and Mordvins, belonging to the Volgaic (Volga-Finnic) subgroup of the
Finno-Ugric group.
(37) "Farther away and above the Sea of Pontus are the abodes of the
Bulgares, well known from the wrongs done to them by reason of our
oppression. From this region the Huns, like a fruitful root of bravest
races, sprouted into two hordes of people. Some of these are called
Altziagiri, others Sabiri; and they have different dwelling places.
The Altziagiri are near Cherson, where the avaricious traders bring in
the goods of Asia. In summer they range the plains, their broad
domains, wherever the pasturage for their cattle invites them, and
betake themselves in winter beyond the Sea of Pontus. Now the Hunuguri
are known to us from the fact that they trade in marten skins. But
they have been cowed by their bolder neighbors." (Getica IV)
The Hunuguri are identifiable either with the Turkic tribal
confederation called Onogur, or with the Hungarians (Ugric subgroup of
the Finno-Ugric group; in fact the names "Hungarian" and "Ugrian" are
derived from "Onogur", because at a certain moment the old Hungarians
were tributary to the Onogurs).

Finno-Ugrically,

Francisc