[gothic-l] Re: EE Jews descend from Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu May 10 14:09:49 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., czobor at c... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., jdm314 at a... wrote:
> > Blaibt a Bua stehn bai da Tür.
> > Er sogt voller Liab zu ihr: >>
> >
> > I note that you rhyme ue with i. Are they pronounced the same, or
is
> this just an imperfect rhyme?
> >

> > << Grüss Gott!
> > Keth >>
> >
> > A gezunt inem heym!
> > IUSTEINUS
> >
> > (AHAH! There IS a Gothic word in this post!)
>
> Yes, they are pronounced the same in the modern High-German
dialects.
> "Tür" (door) sounds like "Tier" (animal). This pronounciation
affects
> even the cultured poetry, since even Goethe rhymes ü with i.
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

the two words may form a rhyme because there are not many words with
umlaut 'ue', and the actual rhyme could affect the pronounciation of
the words somewhat to make the rhyme 'work'. Otherwise there is a
clear difference between the pronounciation of Tier and Tuer and no
German would mistake one for another. The only difficulty arises with
'ue' and 'y', not with 'i' let alone 'ie' which is a long 'i'.

cheers