[gothic-l] Yiddish is based on Ostrogothic

l_labkovsky at HOTMAIL.COM l_labkovsky at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 10 17:53:20 UTC 2001

 Now I know the reason for the confusion regarding the Gothic origins
of Yiddish. The Gothic language according to the Encyclopedia
Britannica is actually two different languages: the Ostrogothic and
the Visigothic, similar to the Mandarin and Cantonese branches of the
Chinese language. Mandarin speakers can't even understand the
Cantonese speakers. Back to Gothic, all existing Gothic texts
according to Britannica are of the Visigothic origin. And let me tell
you, this was one weird language, totally different from the
mainstream German. But the Ostrogothic language was quite similar to
the regular German and also Yiddish. If you read "The Thirteenth
Tribe" by A.Koestler he mentions an Israeli professor A.Poliak who
compared Ostrogothic words used by Crimean Goths and found them
similar to Yiddish words. You wouldn't accuse Poliak, a Jew, of
having nefarious intentions towards Jews, would you? And I don't want
to discuss u and i and a because you can go in circles all day long.
Look at the big picture. In order for Yiddish to come from Middle
High German you first have to prove that German Jews arrived in
Eastern Europe in any significant numbers and no such proof exists.
Ostrogoths and Sarmatians however already lived in Ukraine. Haha!