[gothic-l] Arianism encouraged Judaism

Sollers sollers at PEMMADDISON.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue May 15 18:23:06 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <l_labkovsky at hotmail.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 15 May 2001 18:56
Subject: [gothic-l] Arianism encouraged Judaism

> I see that Arianism is being discussed on this group so I decided to
> add my two-cent worth. Because Ostrogoths were Arian Christians and
> rejected Jesus Christ as the Son of God their Sarmato-Goth
> descendants had an easy time rejecting Christianity and adopting
> Judaism following the advice of visiting rabbis. And yes, Hasidic
> Jews wear black the same as other Germanic sects like the Amish and
> those guys I saw in Saskatoon selling produce on public market,
> Hutterites. These Hasidic Jews are simply one more German religious
> sect, only of Jewish religion.

The Ostrogoths stayed non-anti-Semitic (sorry about that!) but the Visigoths
got anti-Semitic very fast.  And Catholics in Gaul were more like the
Ostrogoths: at the top level, Sidonius Apollinaris and later Gregory of
Tours had no problems, and at the grass roots level, at the same time the
Christians in Lyon were going along to the synagogue rather than the
churches because they said the sermons were better.  5th and 6th century
inhabitants of Gaul tended to be very confused about the difference between
Christians and Jews anyway,