[gothic-l] Re: Arianism encouraged Judaism

Frank Verhoft frank.verhoft at PANDORA.BE
Mon May 14 17:36:43 UTC 2001

Dear Nikolai, Dear Goths

Nikolai:
+AD4-cripes...
+AD4-I knew I should have paid attention more often in french class.
+AD4- k, ...the English version of that, please?

My English and French are far from perfect, as you may have noticed, but I'll give it a try. I also noticed that the accents do appear on the screen, so my apologies for posting the French quote twice in less than an hour:

 +ACI-La vie de Wulfila est exactement contemporaine de cette
puissante lutte dogmatique qui secoua l'Eglise au IVe si+AOg-cle. C'est
en 323 en effet qu'Arius formula sa doctrine. Elle consiste, on le
sait, +AOA- nier que le Fils soit 'constubstantiel' au P+AOg-re. Pour les
Ariens, Le Fils n'est pas '+AOk-gal' au P+AOg-re, mais seulement 'semblable'
ou de 'substence semblable' et il est subordonne au P+AOg-re comme le
Saint-Esprit l'est au Fils.+ACI-

Wulfila's life coincided entirely with that fierce dogmatic conflict which split up the Church in the 4th century. In 323 Arius formulated his doctrine. As we know, this theory denied that the Son was +ACI-consubstantial+ACI- with the Father. The Arians believed that the Son is not +ACI-equal+ACI- to the Father, but only +ACI-resembling+ACI- Him, or +ACI-(consisting) of resembling substance+ACI-, and JC is subordinate to the Father, the same way as the Holy Gost is subordinate to JC.

Au revoir,

Frank Verhoft