[gothic-l] Re: Arianism encouraged Judaism

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed May 16 10:47:43 UTC 2001

I think there can be no doubt that East European Jews have nothing to
do with Goths and that Arianism did not encourage Judaism. If
anything, the Visigoths were notorious for becoming one of the first
states in Europe to persecute the Jews on a large scale (admittingly
mainly after their conversion to Catholicism).

However, in an attempt to steer this Jewish/Gothic topic towards
something more useful, I would like to draw the attention of Jordanes'
treatment of Jewish history in his Romana. In short, authors like
Goffart seem to think that Jordanes paid a considerable amount of
attention to Jewish history in the first parts of the Romana in order
to draw parallels between Jewish and Gothic history. Thus, Goffart
argues that for Jordanes, Jewish history (rightly or wrongly) was to
be seen as an example for the successful intergration of a people into
the Roman empire, which at the same time kept its own religious faith.
For Jordanes, this example seemed to have held the hope that Arianism
should not be an unsurmountable obstacle for a Gothic intergration
into the Roman world.

cheers
Dirk

PS: I came across a website where the author argued that the German
language was 'constructed' from Yiddish by Benedictine monks.
Very weird !!