[gothic-l] Re: Sixth Gothic War

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu May 24 10:08:18 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Sixth Gothic War 256-258 AD
>
> Cities around the Black Sea are attacked by Gothic
> and Erulic fleets under Kniva (Pithyus, Trapezunt,
> six cities in Bithynia). These attacks are not directed
> toward winning territory but to weaken the Roman
> enemy.

Bertil,

was the main reason for these attacks not to gain booty? If you
state that the main aim of these attacks was to 'weaken the Roman
enemy', that seems to imply some sort of general strategy to bring
down the Empire by tactical attacks to weaken its defences.

In the mid-third century, the Goths or any other Germanic people could
not even have dreamed of such a goal. In fact, peripheral 'barbarians'
usually acted like modern extortionists. They attacked the provinces
of the Empire to gain plunder and in the hope that the Empire is going
to pay them off in exchange for stability. Or, in the best case, the
Empire allowed them to settle within its borders, thus bestowing great
honours on the barbarian elites and relative economic stability and
prosperity on the population (Goths and other Germanic groups have
repeatedly sought this alternative). Destroying and or destabilising
the Empire was, in my view, not on the mind of Black Sea Goths and
Heruls in the  mid-third century.

cheers