[gothic-l] Question about Catualda

Alburysteve at AOL.COM Alburysteve at AOL.COM
Thu May 24 15:45:01 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk:

>  that is interesting. A 'mixed' Germano-Celtic name would perhaps be a
>  nice reflection of the 'ethnic' situation in these areas, i.e.
>  Gothones beeing subjugated by Lugians and Lugians being subjugated by
>  Marcomanni. But would the final 'a' not tip the balance in favour of a
>  more Gothic origin of the name and/or its bearer, though?

Intuitively, I would consider the ending least diagnostic.  Note how commonly
Latin and Greek endings appear on many barbarian names (Tervingi (for the
Tervings) and in proper names like Odothus, Radagaisus).

Speaking of Radagais (and on no authority but my own), is it possible that
his name was something like Rauthagaisa (Redspear) and if so, a Gothic
cognate with Old English Hrothgar?  Conflicting notions gratefully accepted.

>  About the Marcomanni name, I always took 'Marco' to mean 'border'
>  (i.e. Mark in German), and Mar (Maere) can also mean horse in German.

The latter coming from the same root, *Mark-: Gaulish Marco, OHG marah, OE
maerh (Mod English mare), perhaps from some proto-germanic form march-.  But
your point is well taken:  Gothic marka "border" works better (Latin margo
"edge", Irish mruig "district").

Rgds,

Steve O'Brien
Albury, Ontario