[gothic-l] Re: Question about Catualda

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri May 25 11:59:36 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Alburysteve at a... wrote:
> Hi Dirk:
>
> As a footnote to Tim's post:
>
> >  The reference to Catualda is in Tacitus _Annals_ II.62:
> >
> >  'Among the Gotones was a youth of noble birth, Catualda
> >  by name, who had formerly been driven into exile by the
> >  m'sight of Maroboduus, and who now, when the king's fortunes
> >  were declining, ventured on revenge.'
>
> I think that Maroboduus (P-celtic meaning "Great Crow": crows & dogs
were of
> mythological significance to the Celts) is a Celtic name.  Whether
this means
> that the Marcomanni were Celtic, German, or Celto-Germanic is moot,
I suppose.

Hi Steve,

that this is an interesting question. However, I think the consensus
is to see the Marcomanni and Quadi as Germanic people, whose
penetration of modern Bohemia and Moravia (other than most other
migrations) can actually be demonstrated by archaelogical material.
Also, I am not sure, but I guess the name Marbod could also be
interpreted as Germanic, with 'Mar-' being a component of many
Germanic names like Gundomar, Sigmar, Dietmar etc. and -bod could be
equal to -bad in names like Gondobad.

Anyway, the Marcomanni and Quadi apparently moved eastwards and pushed
the Celtic Boier aside and I suppose it is likely that a good deal of
Celtic cultural influence and population was absorbed into the
Marcomanni and Quadi, who are also regarded as members of the Suevian
cultic league, which streched from the Langobards at the lower Elbe to
the Quadi in Moravia, and according to Hachmann, Kuhn and Kossack
(Voelker zwischen Germanen und Kelten) can be identified by distinct
Elbe-Germanic characteristics in their material culture.
But that is better discussed on the Germanic-L.

cheers,