[gothic-l] Sarmato-Goths became Jews

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Fri May 25 20:52:05 UTC 2001

This guy just doesn't give up.

-----Original Message-----
From: l_labkovsky at hotmail.com [mailto:l_labkovsky at hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 26 May 2001 4:18
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [gothic-l] Sarmato-Goths became Jews

>Nobody can deny that Ostrogoths when they lived in Ukraine
>intermixed with Sarmatians who were Iranians.

No-one's denied this.

>Now, these Sarmato-Goths didn't simply evaporate, they stayed in
>Eastern Europe.

Indeed, the ones who didn't migrate elsewhere that is.  And
the ones who stayed behind were absorbed by later immigrants.

>In the Middle Ages rabbis were feverishly ...

'Feverishly'?  Really?

> ... looking for new Jews after German Jews had been slaughtered
> in Crusade riots and Khazars dispersed by the Rus Vikings.

Evidence for this sudden desire for converts please.  I've yet to
see you cite a single primary source for any of this feverish
private theory of yours.

>First, rabbis tried to convert Prince Vladimir of Rus to Judaism
>and when they failed they turned their attention to the Sarmato-
>Goths.

Evidence for this last point please.

>Rabbis eventually succeeded in convincing these people that the
>latter were actually Jews from Germany, a "long-lost"
>tribe of Israel.

Evidence please.  And how do you 'convince' a people to completely
forget their heritage and adopt a fiction?  These 'feverish'
rabbis must have been very persuasive.

>This is why there was a sudden "explosion" in the number of Jews
>in Eastern Europe.

How can you rule out immigration from elsewhere in the Diaspora
as well as Germany?  As well as remnants of the converted peoples
of the former Khazar kingdom?  And simple population growth?

>And as far as Yiddish is concerned, this is how the Gothic
>language has developed among Sarmato-Goths over more than a
>1000 years.

Which doesn't explain all the detailed linguistic evidence which
has already been presented to you to show that this is total
nonsense.  You can't just wave your hands and make that evidence
go away.  You clearly know nothing about linguistics.

>By the way, you would need at least 4 million German Jews to
>come to Eastern Europe in the Middle Ages to account for 18
>million of EE Jews before the WWII. And German Jews never
>numbered more than 20 thousand.

How exactly do you arrive at that calculation?  Evidence in
detail please.

So, another string of unsubstantiated assertions from Mr Labkovsky.
And he actually seems genuinely mystified as to why no-one is
taking his strange personal theory seriously. Hilarious.
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill