[gothic-l] Re: Germanic mutual intelligibility

Sollers sollers at PEMMADDISON.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat May 26 07:15:59 UTC 2001

My posting yesterday was late at night after a long day so I forgot a couple
of points.

The first is another major sign of pidgins/creoles: a heavy use of auxiliary
verbs.

The second is a good story on mutual intelligibility: some years ago on
Lanzarote I listened to a conversation between a local guide and an Italian
couple.  A friend (also a linguist) and I commented to the guide on how well
they were communicating despite the different languages.

Guide (badly shaken): You mean they _weren't_ talking Castilian?

And no, the Italians weren't from the South.

Now here's a very relevant challenge.  Look at this phrase:

"Lekkin taws int ginnel"

1.  What language is it?

2. What does it mean?