[gothic-l] Eighth Gothic War

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun May 27 14:10:30 UTC 2001

Dear Andreas,

Noted in your "Die gotische Seezuege des 3. Jahrhunderts"
(p. 55) that the Goths in 271 AD were defeated by
Aurelianus. The Goths were led by King Cannabaudes
or Cannabas in several battles. As I have never seen
a reference to this king it would be excellent with some
more details.

I have sources for the spelling Ararich and have personally
never seen the spelling Ariarich. Interesting. Neither Ararich
nor Ariarich seem to be mentioned by Jordanes. Some-
where I have seen Ararich, Aorich and Aliquaca mentioned
as ruling around 330 AD (Ostrogoths). Maybe you can
sort out the period 271 AD to 330 AD for us as concerning
who ruled the Goths. And BTW, where was that battle in 271
AD when a Gothic king was killed with 5,000 men?

Gothically

Bertil