[gothic-l] Re: Heyerdahl searching for Odin

Nikolai gothologist at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 29 14:38:25 UTC 2001

>    Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:44:27 -0000
>    From: dirk at smra.co.uk
>   Subject: Heyerdahl searching for Odin
>
> The following URL of the BBC reports that the famous Norwegian
> archaeologist and explorer Thor Heyerdahl is now searching for
> traces of Odin in South Russia. I know this is slighly
off-topic, but it is
> funny nonetheless. Heyerdahl apparently believes that the
Norse god
> Odin was a real South Russian king, who lived in the first
century BC.
> The text doesn't say it, but I guess Heyerdahl believes that
the Goths
> brought the Odin believe to Europe.

Uh, ...no, Dirk.
Prof. Heyerdahl is 'not' saying that 'Goths' brought the
Odin/Odinn/Odhinn belief to Europe. What he is saying (Which may
better to help prove those of you who feel Goths did Not
originate from Scandza) is that instead of Vikings making their
way into the Russian interior between 8th century CE and 11th
century CE and possibly helping to further establish what is the
modern Russian/Muscovite state ...that perhaps it was the other
way around ...originally. Perhaps the Varangian Rus' (not
necessarily in name) came from southern Russian/Ukraine and
migrated north and northwest, eventually coming to the
Scandinavian peninsula, hell and gone from that pesky Roman
Empire who felt it necessary to continually invade into
established territories not belonging to the Roman Empire.

And, far-fetched as it may sound... the man 'could' be right.
The people of Scandinavia had to originate somewhere (not
referring to the Saami), and their known physical traits as well
as their customs of warfare and culture do not exactly coincide
with the existing populace of Saami, who dwelled not only
directly beside them, but at times - mingled together.

If the Celts were supposed to have swept across Europe from east
(originating near the caucasus region) to west... then why is it
so difficult to ponder the possibility of the Northmen doing the
same thing, except they ventured north instead of west.

Anything is possible.
But this has nothing to do with ancient Goths.
Unless, of course, you are in the "Goths originated from Sweden"
camp. As am I.

=====
äî ñâèäàíüÿ.
Nikolai
^^O^^
http://www.geocities.com/gothwitches
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dreamed before." ~ Edgar Allen Poe