[gothic-l] Gothic Identity, was: Heyerdahl searching for Odin

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed May 30 07:59:02 UTC 2001

> Anything is possible.
> But this has nothing to do with ancient Goths.
> Unless, of course, you are in the "Goths originated from Sweden"
> camp. As am I.
>

> =====
> äî ñâèäàíüÿ.
> Nikolai
> ^^O^^

Hi Nikolai,

my understanding is that the question of 'opposing camps' in this
matter does no longer arise in modern historical research. Historians
seem to agree that there have been Gothic tribes on the continent
(mentioned from 1st C. AD) and in Scandinavia (mentioned from 5th C.
AD). In all likelihood these groups were in contact at some stage.
However, their material cultures are so different that this contact
was likely not very intensive (See: Hachmann, 'Die Goten und
Skandinavien', or more recently Mazkiewicz et. al.).

In fact, 'Gothicism' was likely not an ethnic definition at this
early stage at all, but rather a  cultic/religious one. Thus, the term
Gothic could be transfered easily to different peoples including
non-Germans (in linguistic terms) as well. Therefore, saying that 'The
Goths' came from this or that place is tantamount to saying that the
Catholics came from Rome or the Lutherans came from Wittengerg. What
is important, is that for the transmission of such a cultic identities
you don't need a migration of people. This view solves the problem
with the different material cultures, and it led people like R.
Wenskus to come up with the concept of the 'traditional core', to
which most authorative scholars like Wolfram seem to adhere.

Thus, the early Goths may have formed an entity similar to the Suevi
and Vandilii-Lugian cultic groups. The Vandilii (Vandals)- Lugian
groups incorporated tribes like the Harii, Helvecones, Manimi, Helsii,
Narhavales and later also the names Silingi and Asdingi appear in this
group. Both the Gothic and the Vandilii-Lugian groups most likely
contained even Celtic parts as well as Germanic parts (see Wolfram
'History of the Goths').

The biggest of such cultic groups may have been the Suevi, who
included the Langobards at the Elbe and streched to the Marcomanni and
Quadi in Moravia. The diverse parts of these larger groups were often
subject of change and some parts regrouped to form tribes that adopted
the name of their former cultic group as the 'common denominator' of
the consitutent parts. Thus, we get the later Vandals, which are
different, but related, to the early Vandili/Lugians and the later
Suevi, which are also different but related to the early Suevi.

With the continental Goths/Gothones the development was probably
similar, i.e. from a loose cultic group to a tighter more 'ethnically'
based entity. This also implies that we cannot simply link 6th century
Goths in Italy with 1st century Gothones in Pomerania and regard them
as the logical development of 'a' people. What all this means is that
the question of Goths originating in one certain place, be it
Scandinavia or Pomerania, is simply obsolete.

cheers,