[gothic-l] Goths, Gauts, Goetar

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed May 30 17:02:46 UTC 2001

Nikolai,

There are many speculations concerning
the Goths. The latest research seems to point
toward a connection between the Gautar
of Goetaland and the Goths. There is extensive
arguments for this (see for instance Thorsten
Anderssons linguistic relations in _Goetar,
goter, gutar_ with summary in English,
which I have presented on the list). Also
of interest (unfortunately only available
in German, my contributions "The Name
of the Gothic People" on 12th, 13th and
14th April. Besides there is the excellent
recent _Schaetze der Ostgoten_, which
I have also presented in detail concerning
the Gothic migration. Ingemar
Nordgren's book also provides some of the
latest in the field.

There is of course no absolute proof for any
theory. There might not have been one large
migration wave only to the Vistula area in Poland
but migration in several steps. The Gotlanders
were probably first and then maybe migrators
from Oestergoetland (East Gothia) and finally a wave
of migrators from Vaestergoetland and possibly other
peoples from the whole Kattegatt area in the west
around BC. Finally the Gepids arrived as the last people
from various parts of the Baltic Sea and Kattegatt area.
The archaeological finds in southern and
western Scandinavia in no way contradicts that there
were continued contacts between the Goths on the continent
and the remaining Goetar.

Gothically

Bertil