[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Identity

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu May 31 07:32:17 UTC 2001

> >  On the other hand, to pick up your exampe, Crimean Gothic
artefacts of
> >  the 6th/7th century are clearly related to other East Germanic
> >  artefacts from Central/Eastern Europe and are related to the
Wilbark
> >  culture via the Chernyakhov culture.
>
> Excellent example of how to demonstrate ethnic origins.

Hi again Steve,

while I have used this example myself, I am not so sure if it is so
excellently suited to demonstrate **ethnic** origin. In this context
modern archaeologists  often refer to 'the coming of the
Toyota-people'. That means that by the logic that links material
cultures with linguistic/ethnic groups the 1970/80 should in future be
identified with a period of Japanese migration to Europe.

cheers,