[gothic-l] Re: byzantium to luleå..

Sigmund sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Fri Nov 2 18:11:29 UTC 2001

>From Byzans to Luleå...
For twopence worth. I was jolted by this name Luleburgaz. We Swedes are,
as far as I know, at a complete loss as to the origin and meaning of several
of our north coastal towns. One of them is Luleå (<Lule aa> on old maps).
Across the upper Bothnian Sea, on the Finnish side, one finds towns like
Uleåborg and similar. It would be stretched to associate them
with proto-Bulgarian, but I'm thinking of the <Lule> or <Ule>  part of it.
Is there the remotest little possibility of these having Fenno-Ugrian origins
(A Hungarian connection that is)? The names are believed to be
Lappish/Saamish in origin. <Pori> is Finnish for Gmc. *burgz, Goth.
> baurgs, Germ. burg etc so why not.

Sig

 "TURKIYE DERGISI" wrote:

Burgaz is, to me, associated with Porgas. It is a Proto-Bulgarian name. One
of the early Croatian kings, who are of the same stock as the
Proto-Bulgarian khans, is called Porgas, under whom Croats accepted
Christianity. Another Porgas was a Bulgar (Tatar) ruler on, as far as I
remember, Mordvins, who used to live as Bulgar vassals just on the north of
the Volga Bulgar state. This is very normal, as rulers of Danubian and Volga
Bulgars, Hungarians, Croats, Great (Ukrain) Bulgars and Balkars of Caucasus
were from the same family. Sources do not mention any Porgas among
Proto-Bulgarians, but we have reasons to suppose that they used this name as
their kins.

Another theory may be based on the Altaic clan of Bordjs, who are likely the
same group as Barsils of Orkhon inscriptions. They were among Kumans. In
Russia and Ukraine slavicized Bordjs became Burdjevs, in ex-Yugo area there
are Burdjevichs, who became Burcoglus in Turkey. In Egypt we can find
El-Borg family descending from Kuman-Qypchaks who established Medieval
Mamluk state there. Some members of this clan or tribe were assimilated
among Georgian in caucasia, but major part is to be grandfathers of the
Borchali living in Eastern Georgia. But those are no longer Kuman, but Oghuz
Turks, as a result of long neighborhood with Azeris. The second part of the
city name is As, name of a medieval Irano-Turcic tribe. The As were not able
to defend themselves in very upheaval of the N. Black Sea region and Eurasia
steps, thus always refugeed to other stronger formations, causing usual
double naming: Burt-As, Kenger-As, Alan-As, etc. Askal, the oldest known
name of Kiev, and Astarhan, in nortern coast of the Khazar sea bears their
name. Today's Caucasian Osets descent from them. Kumans were very crowded in
the both sides of Danube, and established the second Bulgarian state in
1169. Thus, a Bordj-As union might have given its name to the city. Other
cities and towns in Turkish Thrace seem to be named under Ottoman, since all
those cities once had their Greek names.

Regards,

Osman