[gothic-l] "Plinsjan" as a loan word from Old Slavic

gknysh at YAHOO.COM gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 19 17:47:53 UTC 2001

I have a request for members of this list. I had always been of the
opinion that the word "plinsjan" (to dance) was a borrowing into
Gothic from Old Slavic, having first read of this in vol. 1 of Henryk
Lowmianski's "The Beginnings of Poland". Subsequently I have seen
this repeated constantly, and have never (until yesterday)
encountered any opposition to it. This looked (and still looks to me)
as a position as to which there was and is broad consensus among
linguists and gothicists in particular. The main argument, as I
remember, being that the consonant "p" denotates a loan word when it
appears in a start position in Gothic. However on another list,
(cybalist) a Lithuanian linguist has questioned this. He won't
discuss particulars, but rejects the view that the status
of "plinsjan" as a loan word is an established view among linguists.
Would anyone here have the patience to provide me with three or four
reputable linguistic authorities confirming the status of "plinsjan"?
Has anyone heard of a reputable linguist or linguists who question
this? Thank you in advance.

George Knysh
University of Manitoba

StartMeUp jump starts your car's battery
using only the cigarette lighter.
$24.95 at Youcansave.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k4tJlC/LTTDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM