[gothic-l] "Plinsjan" as a loan word from Old Slavic

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Tue Nov 20 23:22:48 UTC 2001

Was wondering why the Goths did not have a word similar to Modern German
Tanzen.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: <Grsartor at aol.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] "Plinsjan" as a loan word from Old Slavic

About whether Gothic "plinsjan" is a borrowing from Slavic:

Lehmann's Gothic Etymological Dictionary says

"an exception to the rule that words common to Gmc and Sl were borrowed from
Gmc" and he makes reference to OSl plesti = dance.

I do not know whether this is the generally accepted view, but merely pass
on
what I find in the book mentioned above.

Gerry T.

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.