[gothic-l] byzantium to luleå..

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Nov 23 08:40:00 UTC 2001

Osman,

Coming upon this piece of information I think
maybe some corrections are in place. After the
battle of Poltava 1709 King Charles XII helped create
an alliance of Ukraine, the Zaporozhian Cossacks, the
Crimean Tartars and the Ottomans which waged warfare
on Russia.

During the Prut Battle in 1711 Tsar Peter and his army
were completely surrounded and could easily have
been defeated but for some curious, unknown reason
the Turkish army allowed the Russians to retreat
and escape the noose. At Prut the defeat at Poltava
could have been reversed.

This has nothing to do with Gothic matters but it is,
I think, necessary to correct the impression that
the war against Russia did not continue.

For more on the war against Russia during the period
1709-1714 see my article on the Sequel to Poltava
at www.euronet.nl/users/sota/haggman.html. The Great
Northern War continued to 1721.

Gothically

Bertil

> Of course, possible. But I personally do not know any migration from that
> north. After the Poltava battle with Russians, Charles refugeed to the
> Ottoman state. Ottomans tried too much to convince him to return to his own
> country, but he, likely enjoying very hospitality, preferred to stay for a
> long time, thus being called 'demirbas', meaning 'untouchable, unmovable and
> continuous official property', by contemporary Ottoman authors. But no sign
> for any settlement. There are settlements of Belorussians, Polonians and
> Hungarians (today only Polonians keep their identity, having their own
> village just near to Istanbul: Polonezköy). Those are well known and
> studied, thanks to very richness and seriousness of Ottoman records, but
> nothing about Svedens. If there is an earlier (Byzantihe time) settlement,
> you are OK. One may think on especially the Vareng-Rus, who a few times
> attacked on Istanbul.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.