Fwd: Re: Fwd: [gothic-l] Names of Heruls

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 26 23:53:57 UTC 2001

I sent the original posting to our former member David Salo, knowing that he
would come up with a better answer than I could. Here is what he said:

In a message dated 11/26/01 3:34:37 PM, dsalo at softhome.net wrote:

<<
   At least some of these names are clearly Germanic, and many of them
probably so: Alaric = Go. Alareiks "All-ruler", Fara = Go. *Fara
"Traveller", Fulcharis = *Ful(la)harjis "Full-army", Philemuth = *Filumods
"Many-mind", Roduulf = *Hrothawulfs "Glory-wulf" (Rudolf, Rolf), Sindualt
perhaps = *Swinthawalds "Strength-power".  Aordus probably includes -wards
"guardian" (maybe Aiwwards "Eternal guardian"?), Suartuas certainly
includes Swart- "black" (but perhaps the second element is Celtic, cf.
Welsh gwas < *wassos?), Fanitheus probably includes -thius "servant".
Silinga includes the well known tribal suffix -ing (and the Silings were on
of the branches of the Vandal tribe).  Of course this only shows that the
names are Germanic, not necessarily Gothic.  Others look strange.  E.g.
Datius -- I don't think Datja or Datjis means anything; Naulobates -- maybe
includes nagl- "nail"??  Ochus, whatever it was originally, seems to have
been remodelled to resemble the Greek transcription of the Iranian name
*Wa(h)ukah.  Uligagus looks awfully like a scribal error for something
else.