[gothic-l] "Plinsjan" as a loan word from Old Slavic

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Wed Nov 28 08:27:26 UTC 2001

What is the possibility that this OSl 'plest'i is not of Germanic origin?
Can anyone give me etymological data for this root in slavic or balto-slavic
languages? Aside from chronological matters, could OSl conceivably produce
'plesti' from, say, an unattested (E-)Gmc. *plensti (> Go. plinsti-) (for IE
-ti- cf. wasjan, wasti)? Thus you would have the Gothic pair plinsjan "to
dance", *plinsti "a dancing, dance".  But perhaps the Goths were not very
familiar with dancing? But the Slavic cognates would help immensely to
determine this.

Matþaius

> From: george knysh <gknysh at yahoo.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:01:52 -0800 (PST)
> To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [gothic-l] "Plinsjan" as a loan word from Old Slavic
>

> --- Grsartor at aol.com wrote:
>> About whether Gothic "plinsjan" is a borrowing from
>> Slavic:
>>
>> Lehmann's Gothic Etymological Dictionary says
>>
>> "an exception to the rule that words common to Gmc
>> and Sl were borrowed from
>> Gmc" and he makes reference to OSl plesti = dance.
>>
>> I do not know whether this is the generally accepted
>> view, but merely pass on
>> what I find in the book mentioned above.
>>
>> Gerry T.
>
> *****GK: Thanks*****

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!