[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 28 15:24:21 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >
> Hi Tore,
>
> that is all very nice, but the problem is that Procopius sometimes
> reported reliable information and sometimes he reported a mixture
of
> fiction and fantasy. Sometimes it is easy to tell the two appart,
but
> often it isn't. That is why Procopius has to be interpreted against
> the background of other sources, evidence and theory.
>
> Consider the following exerpts from Procopius, and you will see
that
> he had no clear idea about where or what Britain was and where or
what
> Thule was.
>
>   Einar; Hæ Dirk..

 When reading the chapter in Dewings translation when Procopius is
describing the travel to Thule, it seems pretty obvious that he means
Scandinavia..
And when descriping the customs of the northern tribe Skriðfinnar(the
northern Lappish tribes) he was very accurate. When describing the
midnight sun,he was accurate.
Skriðfinnar were just in Scandinavia but not in The British Isles.

We can not describe any midnight sun in the British Isles,because
there is none.  We can rule out Iceland as Thule in the connection to
this travel of the Heruli up North. There are just five countries in
northern Europe with a midnight sun; Iceland,Greenland,Norway,Sweden
and Finnland. Well and northern Russia of course.

I mentioned Skriðfinnar in one of my previous letters on the
Germanic-L. Procopius description was very similar to the description
of Skriðfinnar in the Old Icelandic literature. And the name was
exactly the same. So he did not mix anything up there. And the
midnight sun in northern Scandinavia is a reality,you cannot
deny.
So a Thule with a midnight sun and the tribe Skriðfinnar can just be
Scandinavia. So simple is that.

Bless,bless. Einar.

Yes, we should move the discussion on to the Germanic-L or drop the
discussion. Has this issue not been covered in a great detail. ??

Bless,bless. Einar.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.