[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 28 16:31:50 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Einar Birgisson" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > > --- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> > > >
> Hi Einar,
>
> unfortunately it is never as simple as that.
>
> Procopius, as educated Greek had access to the writings of ancient
> geographers. Every educated Greek knew about the the story of the
> mid-night sun in Thule and Scandza and every educated Greek
expected
> this description to come up in a report about these areas. The same
is
> true for several tribal names. Procopius simply copied the
> relevant passages from the sources at his disposal, showing off his
> education and satisfying the expectations of this readers.
>
> I cited his report about Britain not because I think that he
confused
> it with Thule, as you seem to have mis-understood me; but because
it
> shows that he new very little about northern Europe in general and
the
> location of Thule and Britain in particular. This, is by the way
the
> accepted interpretation.
>
> cheers,
> Dirk

  Einar; Hæ Dirk.

These are all speculations. You can not have any idea about what
educated Greeks were expecting. And you have no idea of the
intentions of Procopius. Neither you nor anybody else.

And are you saying that there were these ancient geographers that
were so unreliable? Must be if Procopius just copied from them?

And maybe you can support your claims with evidence.
Were did Procopius copy the descriptions of the customs of the
Skriðfinnar from?

Bless,bless. Einar.

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout