[gothic-l] Boethius: Meter 1 (l. 1-53) OE.

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 24 17:37:09 UTC 2001

Hailai, Mat jah allai.

About the Gothic references in Boethius:

Earlier this year I tried to make a translation of the OE version of
Boethius's Metres, often with uncertainty, and doubtless with a good number
of misunderstandings. The attached file gives my translation of Metre 1. I
have not tried to reproduce any of the metric or other poetic qualities of
the original, or of its Old English translation, since such matters are
beyond my ken; and the strange word order in the Mn E translation is merely
the result of my attempt to keep each word on the same line as its
counterpart in the OE. Published translations of the Metres seem to be hard
to find, but if any are available they should certainly be preferred to what
is supplied with this email.

Some of King Alfred's translation of Boethius is reproduced in Sweet's
Anglo-Saxon Primer, in which the following note about Raedgod and Aleric is
added: "In fact Radagaisus was killed in 406 and only Alaric sacked Rome, but
the OE Orosius implies that they led a joint invasion into Italy." As for
Amuling, it is stated that this means "one of the line descended from the
legendary king of the Goths, Amal."

Gerry T.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search