[gothic-l] Balkan

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Oct 28 08:22:29 UTC 2001

Mr. Mitovsky,

The East Germanic people of the Goths originated
in Scandinavia.

For encyclopedias on Germanic personal names and
peoples names there is Schoenfeld, _Woerterbuch der
altgermanischen Personen und Völkernamen nach der
Ueberlieferung des klassischen Altertums_ (1912) and for
instance Winfried Lehmann's _A Gothic Etymological
Dictionary_ (1986) and a number of newer encyclopedias.

The Slavs came after the Goths but there were certainly
interarriages between Goths and other peoples for instance
Sarmatians. Also in on the Crimea and in Ukraine the
Goths were eventually becoming absorbed by the Slav
population.

There is a number of descriptions. One is Tacitus _Germania_:
(20.1) "In every home they grow up...into those long limbs
and large bodies that amaze us". I would guess Jordanes may
have a description.

Where in the Balkans would the name Scandza appear? (compare with
Scandinavia).

It is not probable that there are any remains of Gothic people
on the Balkans.

Gothically

Bertil Haggman