[gothic-l] Re: Vandal exhibition gives new explanations

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Sep 5 08:13:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., babeck at a... wrote:
> Hi,
> I was always under the impression that the Wends were the people
> referred to by Pliny as the Venedi and by Tacitus as the Veneti.
> These were, I believe, quite distinct peoples from the Vandals.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian Beck

Hi Brian,

I have the same viewpoint. The name "Wend" is presented in all sources
that I have found as derived from "Venet(h)i/Venedi". The name
denominated initially an old Indo-European people living approx. in
the actual Veneto region of Italy (whence also the name of the city
Venezia = Venice), but also further north, thus in the east of the
territory settled by the Old Germanic peoples. Later, when the old
Veneti were replaced by Slavic tribes, the old Germans transferred
this denomination (OHG winid-/wind-, MHG wend) to these new eastern
neighbors of them. The term seems to be known also by the Goths, since
Iordanes uses it:
"(34) Within these rivers lies Dacia, encircled by the lofty Alps as
by a crown. Near their left ridge, which inclines toward the north,
and beginning at the source of the Vistula, the populous race of the
Venethi dwell, occupying a great expanse of land. Though their names
are now dispersed amid various clans and places, yet they are chiefly
called Sclaveni and Antes." (Getica V)
It is clear that for Iordanes "Venethi" was another name of the
"Sclaveni" (Slavs).
Later ther Germans restricted the name "Wend" to their immediate
Slavic neighbors - the Sorabs.
The term passed also in other languages, being used to denominate
Slavic neighbors:
in Finnish: Venäjä "Russia", venäläis "Russian"
in Hungarian: vend "Slovenian of Hungary"

Regarding the derivation Wend < Vandal, made by mediaeval authors, I
think that it is merely folk ethymology.

Francisc

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!