[gothic-l] Heruli and Iceland(Island)

einarbirg at YAHOO.COM einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 5 18:38:10 UTC 2001

I am icelandic and I have been trying to find the roots of the
icelandic nation.(By the way the name of the country is ISLAND not
iceland.The englishmen started to use this name in the 16th century I
think. This IS has nothing to do with ice.)The heruli went to
scandinavia in the 6th century according to procopius.Where they went
exactly is irrevalant.Propably in danish territory.Then they went to
norway in the 8-9th centuries(or before!).They went in the footsteps
of other germanic tribes that had settled there before(south and
south west norway).They came with theirs tradions and their wolf
names.Well in the end of the 9th century they had to(or choose) to
leave the country because they opposed the ruling of the new powerful
norwegian king.Then they settled in iceland.The structure of the
first icelandic society was all of german origin(not nordic).They had
german law among other things and the first law was called
Úlfljótslög.Úlfur means wolf.The first settler of iceland was
according to legend Ingúlfur.Later that mame changed to Ingólfur.It
has been a more or less accepted truth that the nation was norwegian
in origin and the book of settlement cited as proof of this.Today
that source is not accepted valid and this issue has be debated more
or less all this century.I will mention author Barði Guðmundsson in
this aspect.Genealogical research shows clearly that this old and
always unsupported theory is invald.It has just been taken for
granted that we are from Norway because the old books say
so.Law,litterature,althing and the general structure of the first
society point directly to germanic origin(not nordic) though there
were influences from nordic culture and celtic as well.So the wolf
tribe ended in island and preserved there their great germanic
heritage,litterature and poetry.In the german poet nibelungenlied the
connecton beetween Hungary(former heruli territory) and Island in a
very mythical perspective (of course) is obvious.Some myths in
Hungary seems to connect hungary with the heruli and iceland.

Win a Marvel vs. CapCom 2 Arcade System!
Click Here to Enter...
http://us.click.yahoo.com/g9XZmB/o58CAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM