[gothic-l] Gothic religion and magic-1

hrafnsnest hrafn at GVTC.COM
Fri Apr 5 04:12:40 UTC 2002

Hail All!
  I have, over the past few months, pretty much have been taking in
all of the various topics on this list.  I find it very informative,
especially Bertils postings of the etymology of the word Eruli.  I
shall attempt, over the next few months, to post material on the
general subject of Gothic religion and magic.  This is an area which
is often either dismissed or avoided.  Granted, some of the
conclusions are controversial, but that's what makes the discussion
interesting and informative.

 Jordanes chp. 24, who, in accounting for the origin of the Huns,
relates that a group of witches ([H]aljorunas ~ al. alyrunas,
aliorunas, aliuruncas) were thrown out of the Gothic kingdom, engaged
in "unspeakable" rituals with "demons" of the Russian steppes, and
gave birth to them.  This legend alone, must have had an interesting
influence on the relationship between the Goths and Huns.

 Aurinia (Alirunais, Alrun, Alraun), a "wise-woman" is said to have
been famous in Germany before Veleda, and equally significant, the ON
name Ölrûn, Sæm. 133-4, belongs to a wise-woman, or more precisely, a
wise valkyrie.

 It is interesting to note that in modern Icelandic the word for
Mandrake is -Thjofarot- "the thief's root", and is believed to grow
from the blood or urine from a hanged thief under the spot where a
gallows once stood. In ON the mandrake was called -ölrun-, and in OHG
it is -alruna-.
  Two Old French sources tell how the mandrake plucker dies upon
hearing the scream of the plant as it is being plucked. Several
researchers have taken this "formula" and applied it to the ritual
hanging rites performed in ancient times, whereby the initiant is
hung upside down over the -alrune-, between Asgardhr and Midhgardhr,
it is taken up screaming, he/she "dies" and is "reborn" with the
mysteries revealed.
 Alruna, now Alraun(e), has semantically shifted from the wise-woman
(or witch) to the plant, now used by the witch.  It also has possible
connections with the ON word "alu".

Sources for this info. will be gladly posted.
Jeff

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.