[gothic-l] Gothic horses

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Sat Apr 6 08:55:35 UTC 2002

On Saturday, April 06, 2002 2:56 PM, Bertil Haggman [SMTP:mvk575b at tninet.se] wrote:
> Keth,
>
> Could not tell you if it was the same White

It is the same Lynn White, who is a 'he' BTW, not a 'she'.

> The White quote serves to illustrate the superiority of
> the techniques for farming used north of the Alps.
> There slaver and wooden tools plus oxen, here horses
> and iron. What a difference !

Iron ploughs were developed and used by the Romans
in heavy northern European soils - something which has
become clear through archaeology in the decades since
White wrote.  And the technological developments White
 details took place centuries after the last Gothic kingdoms
ceased to exist in area which had never been dominated
by the Goths.

I'm wondering what exactly the White thesis has to do
with the Goths.  Nothing at all as far as I can see, and
I've read 'Medieval Technology and Social Change' and
subsequent works on the medieval agrarian revolution
many times.

Tim O'Neill

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.