[gothic-l] Gothic religion and magic II

hrafnsnest hrafn at GVTC.COM
Mon Apr 15 23:28:25 UTC 2002

Hail All!

   I will start off by saying that the following is conjecture.  But,
in our search for the Gothic gods, we must start with conjecture.  We
know that Mars is mentioned, we also know that this was not the name
of their war-god, so we must hypothesize.  But that will be the
subject of a future posting.  As with all Germanic folk, many gods
were venerated.  So, this posting will hypothesize on the possible
Gothic Storm/Thunder god.
   Faírguneis was probably this god.  His name presents interesting
etymologies that are not without controversy, and it seems as though
the name is actually "back-engineered" from Old Norse and Slavic.
Dr. Polomé does present some interesting possibilities: faírguneis
(Go. "mountain") > Old Norse Fjörgynn (masc. an "earth" god ?)
Fjörgyn (fem., an earth goddess), related to the Lithuanian Perkunas
(Latin - quercus) "oak god", Slavic Perun (piorun) "thunder god", Old
Indic Parjánya, "rain god"; all derived from a common Indo-European
theme: per-k / per-g-, meaning "hit".
   A closer look at Perun / Perkunas reveals that certain rites were
performed before him, such as the placing of arms at his feet, and
there were special imprecations hurled at anyone who broke a vow.
   All in all, it is thought that Faírguneis was replaced by þórr in
Scandinavia leaving the etymologically connected Fjörgyn as the
mother of the thunder-god, þórr.

Jeff

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.