[gothic-l] Re: Muzeul National de Istorie a Romaniei and Gothic Finds

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 23 14:45:58 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "fericzobor" <fericzobor at y...> wrote:
> Dear Bertil,
>
> during the war, the whole national treasure of Romania was brought
> the Soviet Union, including the whole Gothic hoard of Pietroasa.
> After the war, only a part of the treasure was returned to Romania,
> including a part (less than 1/2) of the Gothic artefacts.
> After 1990, the return of the rest of the national treasure to
> Romania is an important and constant issue of every discution or
> negotiation with Moscow. Unfortunately, until now, Russia doesn't
> seem willing to return it.
>
> Francisc

Dear Francisc,

the Russian Duma has declared most of these 'war-booty'
items 'treasures of the Russian people' making it extremely difficult
(close to impossible) for presidents or other members of the
executive to make compromises in that matter. Germany has been able
to get some items back, but at a price. A few weeks ago Germany
cancelled USD 6.7 billion in Soviet era debt. In return the Russian
government and parliament is looking somewhat more favourable upon
the return of art treasures to Germany. Since Romania will likely not
have such a bargaining-chip, the chances of returning these items are
probably slim.

Than again art treasures have always been robbed during wars. Where
do we draw the line? WWII, WWI, the 30-Years War? The most important
thing is that the current owner takes good care of it, makes it
available to researchers and the public and is able to protect it
from theft and damage.

cheers,

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.