[gothic-l] Re: Goths and Christianity

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Apr 25 12:08:28 UTC 2002

The news about the Hemmaberg seems to answer some of my questions
below. Apparently on the Hemmaberg was a Catholic church for the
Roman Catholic population and an Arian church for the Goths.

http://www.suedkaernten.at/Deutsch/galerien/globasnitz.htm

The following site of the regional museum also reports about the role
of the Goths in that area, mentionig an Ostrogothic fortress at the
Duel near Feistritz at the Drau river.

http://www.landesmuseum-ktn.at/arch%E4ologie.htm

cheers,
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> I think it should be about right to say that the Ostrogoths
converted
> to Arian Christianity somtime during the early part of the 5th
> century. The Goths had been exposed to Christianity sicne the mid-
3rd
> century when Christian prisoners reportedly spread Christianity
among
> the Goths. Conversion around this time is also indicated by the
Codis
> Gothani, which states that the Gepids became Arian Christians in
the
> middle of the 5th century because of Gothic influence. Also, I
think
> Theoderic is reported to have been born to Christian parents.
>
> However, as far as I know there are no church buildings of that
> period in the Gothic/Gepidic settlement territories. In fact, there
> are hardly any Gothic or Gepidic settlements known in that
timeframe
> (mid-5th century). I wonder why that is. Could this be simply the
> result of insufficient research? or is that the result of a nomadic
> or semi-nomadic life-style. Would the early Christian Goths perhaps
> worshiped in Roman churches or built their own wooden churches?
> Anyone up for an answer?
>
> thanks
> Dirk

Buy Stock for $4