[gothic-l] Suartuas - the ON Connection

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Aug 1 16:04:29 UTC 2002

Troels,

Agree that the "a" is a problem. Have seen in some
German sources the name Suartuas spelled "Swartwa"
(note svart in modern Swedish).
Surtr means "the black one" and maybe the concept of Surtr
as enemy of the gods originate in Iceland. Maybe Einar
might have a view on that? Surtr was the guard of
Muspell. Have found only a few article directly connected
to Surtr ( B.S Phillpots, 'Surt' (ANF 21) 1905 and A. Holtsmark,
'Surtr' (KLNM 17) 1972.

Maybe these articles contain some information of value
in your search.

Gothically

Bertil