[gothic-l] Re: Eruli Personal Names

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Aug 16 09:03:59 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Connecting to the earlier bringing up of Suartuas,
> the Eruli royal name I am tyrnung to a few lesser
> known Eruli nasmes mentioned in Procopius
> _History of the Wars_. Etymological comments
> gratefully received.
>
> Aluith, an Erulian commander: VI, 13:18
>
> Phanitheus, an Erulian commander, VI, 17:1
>
> Visandus, Erulian commander VII, 1:35

Visandus is a name that survived into the 12th
century. The following forms appear in the sources:
a Greek transcription <Ouísandos> of unknown date,
<Wisunt> 9th c.,
a feminine <Wisuntin> 11th c.,
<Wisint>, <Wisunt> 11th c.,
<Wisent> 12th c.
The last three are from the region around
Regensburg in south Germany.

The name appears to be from Germanic *<wisand->, *<wisund->
'bison' (OHG <wisunt>)

Dirk

> Erulically
>
> Bertil