[gothic-l] Early Germanic place-names in today Poland

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 21 14:37:24 UTC 2002

--- Ryszard Derdzinski <galadhorn at inetia.pl> wrote:
> Heils!
>
> Reikhardus again! I hope this information can be
> valuable for all these who
> are interested in the earliest history of Goths and
> Vandals. Zbigniew Babik
> in his "Najstarsza warstwa nazewnicza na ziemiach
> polskich" ('The Oldest
> Onomastic Layer In The Territory of Poland'), Cracow
> 2001, enumerates many
> place-names with Early Germanic etymology (he also
> provides us with a map of
> these names - I can send it to you via e-mail).
>
> It should be noted that these names occur mainly in
> two regions: in
> north-east Poland (Pomorze, Kujawy) and in
> south-west Poland (Silesia).
> These regions are usually connected with Gothic and
> Vandalic (Lugian)
> settlement in antiquity.

******GK: This is extremely interesting. I'd like to
order a copy of this book. Could you send me the
relevant information? (ISBN et sim.)
Two follow ups in this context:
(1) Is the river name "Bug" Old Germanic?
(2) Are there any identifiable Pre-Indoeuropean place
names in Poland?******

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now