[gothic-l] Goths, Eruli and Odin in Azov

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Aug 23 12:15:11 UTC 2002

Pleased to provide a review of a recent Norwegian book

Stein Jarving, _Volvehekser og Valkyrjer_, Eutopia Forlag,
Boks 48, N-4901 Tvedestrand Norway www.eutopia.no., 2nd Edition,
2001

Jarving is a Norwegian author interested in Bronze - Iron Age history.
In this review I will especially relate to what Jarving provides on the Goths,
the Eruli and the Thor Heyerdahl project "Odin in Azov".

Unfortunately Jarving has not been observant when it comes to the
Gothic/Gautic relation. According to him the Goths are related to the
Saxons, the Svear, the Danes and the Eruli. He provides, however,
no evidence for this assertion. Quite correctly he points that Ostro-
gothic was closer to Scandinavian languages than to the Saxon language.
Very little is provided on the Visigoths.

Generally I find on the subjects that is of interest to this list Jarving has
much of interest. He mentions George Vernadsky's (Yale University
Press, 1943) _Ancient Russia_ with its wealth of information.

Insightfully he presents a whole section on Thor Heyerdahl's "Odin in Azov"
project and I know he had numerous contacts with T.H., before he sadly
passed away early this year. One can only hope that the project is
continued by Per Lilliestroem.

There is also good coverage of the Eruli and 'ek Erilar'.

Gothically

Bertil

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/wWMplB/TM