[gothic-l] Re: The Battle of Illerup, Goths, Eruli

hakangot hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Sat Aug 31 23:44:49 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:

I just would like Bertil´s and other listmembers opinion that this
was, as said in the article, a scandinavian coalition. The only
coalition I can think about at this time, mentioned in Beowulf, is
Hygelac´s assault on the frisians. An attempt to push down west-
germanic expansion to the south. One of many battles who made it
possible for the danes to reconquer south Jutland and the smaller
islands from frisians, heruls etc. It doesn´t necessary has to be a
westswedish-danish war, maybe it was more complicated than that!

Friendly greetings from

Håkan Liljeberg

> From the original homepage of the Illerup finds of weapon
> this further indicates relations with the Goths and the Eruli
> (see my short introductory review of _Odin in Azov_
> (to be published on the list).
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil Haggman
>

> FINDS OF WEAPON OFFERINGS FROM ILLERUP ADAL
>
> By Joergen Ilkjær
>
> The river valley called Illerup Adal was drained in 1950, revealing
large
> weapon finds from the Iron Age. Since then the site has been
excavated
> during two periods, 1950-56 and 1975-85, and the past decade has
> seen the publication of eight of a planned series of 14
publications about
> the finds made.
>
> The current consensus of opinion is that the Illerup finds are
spoils of war
> offered to the gods. A local army appears to have defeated an
invading
> force, whose weapons were then cast into the lake covering the site
of the
> finds at that time. In excess of 15,000 weapons and pieces of
equipment
> from the period 200-500 AD have been excavated, making it the most
> comprehensive find of its type anywhere in the world.
>
>  RESEARCHERS PAST AND PRESENT
>
> Not that Illerup Adal is the only site where such war spoils have
been found;
> there are in fact 50 other sites throughout Denmark and southern
Sweden.
> Some of these were excavated during the 19th century and have
formed the
> starting point for all later attempts to interpret similar finds.
Around 1940, two
> different theories were current regarding bog finds: one
interpreted the finds
> as being offerings made of items gathered together after a
successful military
> engagement; the other posited that the finds had been cast into the
bogs over
> many years and as such represented small annual offerings of the
local people's
> own equipment. Unfortunately, it was not possible to determine
which of the
> theories was correct, as the early excavations were insufficiently
well documented.
> It was not until new evidence was uncovered through the more recent
excavations in
> Illerup Ådal that the question could finally be resolved.
>
>  EXCAVATIONS AND FINDS
>
>  A total of 15,000 weapons and pieces of military equipment were
> excavated from an area measuring 40,000 m2. It was often the case
> that bundles of items were found, these having originally been
wrapped
> in some type of cloth. However, after 1,800 years the material has
rotted
> away, and only the weapons and equipment remain.
>
>  All told, four different offerings have been identified in Illerup
Adal. This
> article, however, deals with the oldest and largest-scale offering,
dating
> from the early years of the 3rd century. Much work has been
involved in
> creating the following reconstruction of the course of events
leading up
> to the offering.
>
> A fleet of perhaps 50 ships and 1,000 men set sail from the west
coast
> of the Scandinavian peninsula and made its way down through
Kattegat
> [...]
at the beginning
> of the 3rd century AD.
>
> It is now also clear that the Illerup find is made up of the
material from four different
> offerings in exactly the same place but with as much as a hundred
years between
> each ceremony. It seems clear, therefore, that it was the local
population that carried
> out the ceremonies. But who was the enemy?
>
> Light has been shed on this question by studying the personal
property of the attacking
> warriors. 150 tinder boxes and combs from the oldest Illerup
ceremony show that the
> attacking forces had sailed from the west coast of the Scandinavian
peninsula, i.e.
> from modern-day Norway and the adjoining regions of western Sweden
>
> After years of research it is now possible, in the light of the
finds from Illerup Adal, to
> reconstruct harness and other equipment for horses and the
equipment used and worn
> by the warriors of the time. In the longer term, it will be
possible to create a detailed
> picture of the defeated army whose equipment made up the offering.
>
> AN ARMY OF THE ROMAN IRON AGE
>
> The sacrifices appear to have consisted of all of the army's
equipment and, even
> though we have only excavated 40 per cent of the oldest site, it is
nevertheless
> now possible to begin to describe the makeup of this army and in
the process
> gain an impression of the political structure that led to its being
assembled in
> the first place.
>
> A red-painted shield with a boss crafted in silver and gold; this
splendid item of
> equipment was the property of the commander of an enemy army. Runic
inscriptions
> name several such persons.
>
>  These masks of gold-plated silver were crafted in Scandinavia, and
prove that as
> early as 200 AD smiths were able to use embossed foil techniques,
gold plating,
> and soldering.
>
> Work on the shields has shown that there were three levels in the
army's hierarchy:
> a top tier, represented by five shields whose bosses are fashioned
of gold and
> silver; a tier of about 40 with shields with bronze bosses; and a
level of around 300
> who had shields with iron bosses. Comparisons with other finds from
the same
> period confirm this division. The size of the attacking force means
that it must have
> been put together from a significantly large geographic area, which
makes it likely
> that it was formed as the result of a military alliance. The
existence of such an alliance
> must in turn reflect the political conditions prevalent on the
Scandinavian peninsula
> during this period.
>
> As already mentioned, Illerup is not an isolated phenomenon, in
that we know of similar
> offerings made from the same period in all the areas boundering on
Kattegat. The
> offering of spoils of war tells us of historical events not
mentioned in written sources.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM