[gothic-l] Greutung, Treving, Rus

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 4 00:15:01 UTC 2002

--- Егоров Владимир <vegorov at ipiran.ru>
wrote:
> Franks would have had problem in identifying Goths
> in IX c!
> Goths had been almost forgotten in Europe of those
> times.

*****GK: Newsflash. 839 was in the midst of the
Carolingian Renaissance. Lewis' scholars knew all
about Jordanes and more.*****

*****GK: Which is why an investigation was
launched.****

> This “Rhos” is a transliteration by a Bertinian
> chaplain
> from the Theophil’s letter in Greek. We don’t
> know that letter,
> but Const. Parph. wrote `ρω̃ς, i.e. Hro:s rather
> than Rhos.
> Those “Rhos” were identified with Swedes as
> having
> spoken language similar to Swedish. Besides
> (I agree here with you), the ambassadors probably
> were
> from Aldegjuborg (not Ladoga because presence of
> Slavs
> there is unlikely that time).

*****GK: I used Ladoga since the Rus' appellation
(later borrowed by Russian) is closer to the original
Finnic Laatokka (Lataka, Lataga) than the Norse
rendition of Aldeigja (later rendered
Aldeigjuborg)****

> Of course, everything that I have ever stated, here
> and earlier,
> I did on behalf of mine as opposed to you stating on
> behalf
> of all mankind.

*****GK: Whatever. In the meantime your Gothic
fantasies about Rus' seem as remote as ever. Sorry for
pricking your bubble.*****