[gothic-l] High-seat

hrafnsnest <mimir@smithsys.net> mimir at SMITHSYS.NET
Tue Dec 10 15:56:06 UTC 2002

Hails!
Again, thank you Mattew for your input on the transliteration help.  However, the use of the word "hauhaim" > "high-country", or "high-land/home" for "ondvegum" > "high-seat" does not quite convey what I was looking for.

My understanding of the word "ondvegum" (n. dat.pl. form of ondvegi) is the "platform" on which the  gods or kings sat.  The custom is well attested in the Norse tradition and among the Rus as well.  In the latter, the Rus king sat upon a throne that was situated on a raised platform.  Whether mounting or dismounting a horse, his feet never touched the ground.

Any further thoughts?

Sael,
Jeff

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now